Let’s help you get cycling
Getting a Cycle
Free cycle hire for key workers
We have free cycles available for our key workers who are looking to cycle to and from work during the lockdown. If you want to travel safely and sustainably at this time, then we're here to help.
Local bike shops
Our local bike shops are continuing to support residents during this time. If you're looking to buy a bike you can find a list of local bike stores here.
Learning to cycle
Free cycle training
Anyone who lives, works or studies in Waltham Forest is entitled to free cycle training with our partner Cycle Confident. These sessions are usually held reguarly in local parks, but at the moment we're unable to offer these sessions. We are looking for a safe way to offer cycle training and will let you know once these sessions are available again.
Find out more here.
Try before you bike
The flexible bike scheme that will get you cycling.
- Trial a new or nearly new bike for a monthly fee from £10 for kids / £20 for adults / £20 for folding / £50 for electric / £100 for cargo and adaptive bikes.
- Bike delivered directly to your door with a free cycle skills session to increase your confidence.
- If you like the bike, buy at a discounted price or pay monthly.
- Range of bikes to try with a helpful guide to selecting the right one for you.
- All bikes come with lights, lock and helmet and you can add any other accessories you might need.
- Maintenance and theft cover available for peace of mind.
- Free delivery and collection. No deposit, interest or cancellation fees.
Sign up with Peddle My Wheels who run the programme on behalf of Waltham Forest Council - Try Before You Bike
Dr Bike - Free Bike Maintenance Sessions
We will be holding public Dr Bike sessions over the next month for residents, where you will need to pre book so we can ensure safe social distancing.
Bikehangars are being installed in residential streets across the borough. Over 340 cycle hangars have been installed. To find out how to get one on your street and request access to them visit our residential bikehangar page.
Station Cycle Hubs are a great option for daily commuters who want to ensure their bikes are kept in a secure and dry location. These hubs are monitored by CCTV operators 24/7 and also have a bike pump inside. To find out more visit our Station Cycle Hubs page.
Cycle stands have been installed in high footfall areas like shopping areas and commuter stations to provide free access to parking for cyclists. Businesses can request stands outside their stores, visit our cycle stand page for more information.